Wednesday 26 March 2008

Love - A pleasurable pain



As she locked her car and walked towards the coffee shop, she saw him. She was shocked for a moment. It has been a year since she met him. She thought he had left the country. She couldn’t believe her eyes. For a moment she thought if she had a mistaken identity but how can her eyes forget the glances that they two exchanged! It was him. Certainly him!

After seconds of hesitation she asked him, “How are you?”
He said, “I am fine.” He then asked, “How are you?”
She did not answer to that question. Instead she asked, “When did you come here?”
He said, “A month back.”
He asked, “How is your husband?”
She preferred not to answer to that as well. She looked at her watch and said, “I am sorry. I have come here to meet a prospect. I am already late. Shall we meet sometime later?”
“Give me your number”, he demanded.
She was hesitant. She said, “I am very sorry. If you can wait here, I will come back and give it to you. I am very late.”

She fled from the scene. She did not wait for him to answer. She knew how to evade from his eyes even if he stood waiting there for her. She did not have any meeting with a prospect there. She had left her sun glasses and a set of keys a few hours back in the coffee shop. She called and confirmed that they were there before she came to collect them. She met the guy in charge of the coffee shop, showed her identity and narrated about the phone call she had with one of the guys to confirm that her stuff were there and finally got them in her hand. She silently peeped from the window to check if he was still waiting there. She could not find him. Something told her that he would still be waiting. She moved her eyes a little far away towards the parking lot. She glanced at every single man possible but none of them matched his identities. She thought it the right time to leave the shop and vanish. She put on her sun glasses and walked out of the coffee shop. To her dismay, he was standing right in front of the door of the coffee shop. He smiled at her. She smiled back sheepishly. He asked, “Met your prospect?”
She paused and then said, “He was in a meeting. My appointment was rescheduled.”
He asked in wonderment, “So soon?”
She did not utter a word. She always knew that he understood her very well. Either her facial expressions and gestures were so very obvious or he was a very good guesser.
He continued, “So you are trying to forget me is it?”
She bent her head down and said, “Do you think I can?”
“Yes you can. You have extra ordinary will power. If I remain out of your sight, you will forget me. I know that. You can overcome any tribulation.”
“Stop it. I am not here to listen to this stuff. I got to go.”
“Then go”, he said politely.
But she did not make a move. She began to cry. She did not want to cry but it was beyond her control.
He said, “Come. Get into my car now.”
She asked wiping her tears from her eyes, “Where?”
“We need to talk.”
“I thought it is all over.”
“Let us talk about what happened during the past one year in each other’s life.”
“I have nothing to say.”
“Fine! But I have lots to tell. Come let’s go.”

She followed him to his car. He has something in him that she listens to him. She did not know what it was. That was his strength.

He started his car and began driving through those busy roads as though he had always been there.

He said, “I missed you.”

She looked at him for a moment with such disbelief and anger and then removed her eyes away from him.

“I saw hatred in your eyes when I said that”, he said

She did not answer.

He said, “When I got an offer again, I instantly accepted it since I thought it would be an opportunity to meet you and soon after landing here I tried calling your number. It didn’t work. You have changed your number is it?”
She said, “hmmm”

He took her to a place which was not unfamiliar to the two. He drove through the grass lands and went towards the direction of the cottage. When she noticed where he was going, she stopped him, “Where are you taking me?”
“To the same old place.”
“No. I am not coming. I want to go now”, she screamed.
He immediately hit the brakes and asked her, “What is wrong with you?”
“Nothing is wrong with me. I do not want to come with you. Drop me near my car and let me go.”
“I just want to talk with you.”
“What if I don’t want to listen to it?”
“I know you want to listen to it.”
“I am not the same old person whom you cheated a year ago. I have changed. I am trying to get over those painful episodes. Please leave me.”
“Have I ever forced you to do something?”
“No. But please leave me back. I don’t want to talk to you any more.”

He paused for a couple of minutes. He then drove back when he knew that her mind cannot be changed. He dropped her at the same place from where he picked her up. She was crying throughout. When they reached the place, she got down rapidly without uttering a word and ran to her car, got into it and disappeared.

She drove home. Her son was playing in the garden. He was happy to see her back from work so early. He ran to her and hugged her. She too hugged him close. She was crying and she wanted a bolster. Her son asked, “Mom, are you crying?”
“No dear. Just that something fell into my eyes. You play. Let Mom take some rest. Is that ok?”
“Ok. But will you take me to the park now?”
“Not now. But certainly today.”
“Thanks Mom!” said the boy and ran to play again.

She ran to her room, switched her mobile off and cried to her heart’s content. She thought of those lovely days that she spent with him. She thought about the happy thoughts the two shared. She thought about all the secret moments that she enjoyed with him. She then thought about the day when the two sneaked towards that cottage and enjoyed being each other’s slave. Yes, for a day she was unfaithful to her husband.

She also thought about those distressing moments when he began avoiding her little by little by telling how bad it is to continue the relationship and how dangerous it could be. She knew she was wrong. But the love that she had for this man was spontaneous and so over powering that her husband was thrown to the back seat. The pleasure that she derived for some days turned into venom as he began avoiding her. He did not have the same love that she had towards him. The heat of passion subsided. She recovered from her mistakes. She cried for almost 6 months. She then came to know that he left the country. She thought that it was a boon in one way since she will not be prompted to call him and speak to him and thus incur pain. She had no means to reach him. He too did not drop down his address to her and that by itself meant that he was not interested in her any more. It pained her a lot. A lot! She went through a hell! Now that he had come again! She did not want to be tormented. She was now very strong. She knew she cannot be lured again. She gained confidence. He was a fascinating lover. She still held sweet thoughts about him but did not want to face the humiliation that she went through sometime back. She felt that avoiding him would be better than falling into his trap once again. Within moments she changed off her clothes and got ready to take her son out to the park. She still loved him though.

Pleasure is followed by pain and pain is followed by pleasure. For some pain is pleasure and for some pleasure could be painful. Sometimes they go hand in hand. All said and done, love is eternal. There can be no obstacle to stop love from being developed. Love cannot be contained. It oozes out automatically. Love may always be associated with pain but the pleasure that it once gave or the hope that it will give some pleasure some day or the other is the key strength of love. A lover may cheat but the love remains true. A lover may go back saying that it is all over but it once was there and the truth that it was pleasurable ever remains to be true. Love, even if expressed just once will never be forgotten. It is pleasure and pain. It could be a lovely feeling!

12 comments:

Radhakrishnan said...

Difficult to understand these kind of Love, Latha! What a kind of woman she is and what a kind of man he is!

Love is not a pleasurable pain, it is pleasurable, thats all!

People would have to explain their actions, let me think, I don't think they have to explain their actions because every actions have invalubale reasons! When they call this as a love I really suspect their corrupted mind! It is a simple act of stupidity, thats for me though! I can't speak for others!

Good story Latha. When you read a story it should make you to love it or hate it. If the story doesn't make any impact on the reader's mind then the story is an ordinary one! I hate these characters!

Well done Latha.

Latha said...

Thanks Mr. Radhakrishnan for your comments.

If you had noticed I always write a controversial love story and never the ordinary one where the man meets his girl and settles down happily in life. A simple love story like that would satisfy most of the readers.

I like to bring about a different theme of love in every story of mine. Hence this attempt. I tried to bring in a situation where a man lures a married woman and how she falls in his trap and how she is trying to come out of it though inwardly she still has feelings for him. This is not actually an uncommon situation.

I am happy that you hate my characters 'coz that makes me feel that i have portrayed them well.

Let me tell you one more thing Mr. Radhakrishnan, love can develop at any moment. It may be termed as illegal or immoral but love is love. Even criminals can love. Even beggars can love. Anybody is capable of falling in love. Love is spontaneous. I wanted to bring out that the female character of my story really fell in love though it is not legally correct.

Love is usually associated with pain and that is why I had titled it that way. Moreover, the female character of my story knowingly or unknowingly fell for that man and those moments she experienced with him was pleasurable pain.

Radhakrishnan said...

Thank you Latha.

Love comes only once and it stays there forever!

We all misunderstood the meaning of love therefore we are confused with our actions and think that these kind of people (your story characters) are in love.

I am not a person who can simply agree that everything is right, we don't know what we are doing!

Love won't come just like that and it never falls in any kind of trap! It is simply a pure thing and never allows adulteration in it. There is no one side love, two sides love!

Your story may reflect day to day people activities but to term that as a love is meaningless!

I am not supporting the idea of meeting a girl and settle in a life is a love. Love has its own merits and there is no demerits at all. People are so confused and complicated about this so called 'love' because they simply don't know what is love. We all should be taught properly.

Latha said...

Though I regard your view on love, I still hold my view. I still believe that I have not misunderstood love and that it can develop at any moment. And above all, let us view this as a story. This is just a story.

Padmaja said...

Your story is interesting.

Love is so simple yet it seems complicated.
Love is so sweet yet it gives an illusion of bitterness.
Love is so joyful yet it gives intense pain.
Love is unconditional yet it demands not knowing its true self.

Radhakrishnan said...

Thank you Latha. I respect your views on Love.

Unknown said...

Latha...I am studying you thru your writings. This is a moving story or true romance acted somewhere in this world. and cant be a fiction. Truth is stranger than fiction.I am one of the characters. But I don't know which one..may be both. This depicts the life anyone can undergo. It reminds me many thngs in life.I am delighted.. cheers. kunjubi

Anonymous said...

When did you start wrinting M&B books? really?

but since I'm here and since you have written this - here's my 2cents -
for some people, love is once - for others - love comes everyday
for some others - love never comes.

sometimes a guy and a girl dont' even have to see each other for years and still love each other as much as they would if they lived together and spent 24 hrs with each other.

I still think Mouna Ragam is one movie that potrays love so well..even though her heart always thought of Karthik, when Mohan was in trouble, she realised that now she had only him and started to love him...isnt' that love? Does that mean she loves Karthik less - I don't think so.

Love is sometime spontaneous.
Love is sometimes by chance.
Love is sometimes convinience.
Love is sometimes by habit.
Love is sometimes forever.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - one other good example of a story similar to yours - Astitva - a hindi movie starring tabu and others - one of my all time favorites.

One other example of love in all wrong or right places.

Anonymous said...

Oh Anu! You have been continuously surprising me quite often of late. You have published one of the finest blogs and surprised me by displaying the best of your cullinary skills. You also surprised me by cooking me a grand feast when I met you and now when you leave comments for some crazy love story, I simply cannot understand what is going on. You expressing your views on a serious feeling like love surprises me more than anything. :)

Anyway, I simply agree with all that you said. And do not ask about M&B. I have seen many of my classmates read it but not once have I read one book of M&B. I have read more fictions rather than these stuff. Those things were not of my interest. At one stage, I was crazy over Thomas Hardy books. Even today, I like Thomas Hardy. He made me shed tears. Such a wonderful author! I have more fascination towards Paulo Coelho these days. He is also a wonderful author.

Anonymous said...

Suprises are good Latha!

I wish to suprise you even more soon...hahah

Anonymous said...

Anu! More surprises??!! I am waiting :)