Wednesday 5 March 2008

The 'Gora' Boss

Indians, in the normal course are prejudiced against British men. India was once a British colony. They had encroached on our land and had ruled over us. My intention is certainly not to probe into the past history. Though we have absorbed many legislations and political dogma from them yet we hesitate to accept that the British regime was far better than the so called freedom and democracy that we enjoy today.

I personally have a high regard for Brits because of their decent and respectable culture and courteous language. I love English language. I have admired several English writers from Shakespeare to the contemporary Jonathan Bate. I had (I still have) a flair for writing too and ever loved to play with words. I had the opportunity to meet several English men vide my husband who has plenty of contacts with them. My husband treats English men with high esteem too. I too respected them but never developed an inclination to raise a word to them considering the fact that could also be equally opinionated when it comes to Indians.My encounter with the first ever English man in my life has been briefed as below.My husband’s boss fortunately happens to be a Brit. My husband ran short of words to describe about his boss’ prolific abilities and dynamic nature. Whenever his boss came to town, significant changes could be noticed with my husband.
He gets busier
He disconnects every call of mine
He does not come home for lunch
He comes home
After reaching home, all that he had to say before apologizing was about his Big Boss!I was getting furious over the entire episode and used to wait when the boss would go back to his town. On the other hand my husband misses him the moment he leaves the town.

Gradually as I noticed the confidence level grow higher in my husband, I wished to probe into the motivating factor behind his confidence that fetched him success. He could hold only person responsible for that – his boss, “Mr. Ian Brown”. I developed curiosity in learning more about this person. I wondered what could be so impressive about this man! My husband richly complimented every single action of his boss. I marveled for a moment on the relationship the two shared. Though one was a boss and one a subordinate, still the relationship they shared was unique. I understood that both respect and compliment each other. How good it would be to have such a boss! I aspire to have one too! I was getting influenced little by little.

My husband emerged to be one of the most successful persons in the region the following month. My husband dedicated this encouraging result to his boss telling that his boss met his demands and that is the reason he could carry out his duties efficiently. I too started accepting this person as a proficient person capable of bringing about magic in the air.The next time he visited our town, I showed interest in meeting this person. I was not sure whether he would be willing to come and meet his subordinate’s wife who is an Indian. But he gladly accepted the lunch invitation extended by my husband. I was perplexed. I did not know what a white man eats. We being vegetarians, will not be able to justify a lunch for an English man without meat for which he told my husband that he will eat anything that we offer. I was flabbergasted at such a modest gesture from his end. Unfortunately, I could not be present to receive Ian for lunch. My parents were hospitable enough in receiving him and serving him the delicacies they prepared with diligence. He seemed to enjoy the food too. I was very upset since I would be missing the opportunity to meet him. My joy knew no bounds when he expressed his willingness to stay until I return. I was again shocked at his humble shrug.

As I reached home, I saw him with a gentle smile. If I were to describe his features, I can brief it in just 3 words – tall, smart and handsome. I sat with him and we both exchanged formal conversations. He seemed to be too simple and down to earth person. As I talked with him, I began to feel that I was pretty comfortable talking to him. A highly knowledgeable person like him stooped down to cover topics of common interest. From Social history of England to Indian freedom struggle, we covered all points and had fun in the conversation.

Later that evening, he invited us for dinner outside for which my husband and I readily agreed.My husband and I reached just on time (British people adore punctuality) at the rendezvous. The ambiance of the hotel was fantastic. The food was delicious and fulfilling and above all the company I had that day was pleasant and enjoyable. Ian can talk about anything under the sun. His talents are abundant, his skills are pioneering, his techniques are unique and his judgments are convincing. He has extraordinary convincing capabilities. As a saying goes, where a man describes vividly about hell that every body looks forward for the trip. Ian is in no way different. He never lets you deviate from a subject until he decides to. I don’t mean to say that he dominates the show. I mean to say that we take the least notice that he is trying to keep us on track. He tried convincing me on a subject that I fully began to agree with him. I concluded that all his words were convincing impossibilities but he made me believe that they are implausible possibilities.

He seemed to be a straight forward person. No complexities were involved in understanding him. He had pleasing manners. He respected Indian culture. He had absolutely no attitude problems. All that I understood was the he hates to be addressed as a ‘gora’ and he also despised being referred to as ‘boss’.His policies were strange but simple. He believes in the theory “Enjoy life to the fullest TODAY”. He disagrees with the concept that the Indians hold – Save for your future by remaining miserly today. His words “Indians are the richest men in the graveyard” made me laugh.

In short, the 2 ½ hours we spent that night in the restaurant was a memorable one and I believe that it will be cherished for ever. We forgot for some time the animosity the two countries had against each other. We failed to remember that we belong to different culture and tradition. I am forced to believe that there are lots more in this world to achieve for which caste, race, creed, religion and nationality will seldom act as a barrier.This time, I too (along with my husband) felt saddened to digest his departure from our town. We bade him farewell this time by saying the following words-“Looking forward to meet you again”. We are as desperate as the proverbial ostrich (or whatever bird) waiting for the rains.



No comments: