Wednesday 5 March 2008

Bare Walk

Prosperity & adversity; success & failure; embarrassment & surprise; pleasure & grief; take their turns alternatively in everybody’s life. What may seem to be happy to one person may be sorrowful to the other and vice versa. The same way, the happiest moment or the saddest moment is also sure to vary from person to person. But I am sure that all will agree with me if I say that the most embarrassing moment in everybody’s life would be just one thing – your slippers getting worn out in the middle of the road as you are walking. Am I right?

Unfortunately, I have been a victim to this mode of embarrassment several times. I was a small child when this first happened. My Mother lifted my heavy body and walked in search of a cobbler carrying her heavy handbag on one shoulder, me on the other shoulder and my worn out slippers on the other hand. I was privileged to travel on my Mother’s shoulders. Poor lady – she had to carry me for a long distance until she located a cobbler who could mend my slippers.

The second time this happened was when I was at school. I lost grip of my shoes as I was playing with my friends. Since it was not a major repair, I somehow managed until I got back home.The third time this occurred was when I was a young girl of 17 or 18. I was preparing to go to a computer centre to check about the courses they offer. I was given a time of visit too. I was running short of time. Hence my Mother gave me some money and asked me to take an auto rickshaw instead since waiting for a bus would be a time consuming affair. I took the money from my Mother and moved out of the house. As I walked towards the auto stand, I noticed a bus with barely few people inside waiting for people to get in. I learnt that the bus goes to the intended destination of mine. Hence I thought, I will save the money given by my Mom by taking that bus. Though I was running short of time, I hoped the bus to reach sooner since it did not have many people in it. As I had thought, the bus dropped me at the desired destination at the right time. I got down from the bus and was about to cross the road to reach the computer centre when I noticed that my slippers collapsed. I was too shy to face that situation. I turned left and right and looked at the busy people. Everybody were busy in their own world but I had the feeling that all are looking at me and my worn out slippers. I was too embarrassed to walk any further. I felt it too outrageous to enter into a computer centre without shoes. The thought of buying a pair of cheap slippers also did not strike my mind at that moment. I removed both my slippers, held them on one hand and walked towards an auto stand to take an auto back home. I could have instead asked him to go to the nearest cobbler to get them done but mind stopped working when it happened. The money I thought I could save was also spent this way.I decided that henceforth I will carry some extra money either to buy new slippers to avoid the embarrassment or muster the courage to enquire and go towards a cobbler to settle the issue. After all this is something that hits everybody at one stage or the other. What is the need to feel bad about?

Such thoughts do come only when your slippers are in strong and sturdy condition. My mind got discontinued from such thoughts when for the fourth time, this happened.I was in the 2nd or 3rd year of my college. We usually walk a few metres to reach the bus stand to take up the bus back home. I was walking along with one of my friends when my slippers proved it the right time to show its importance. I was thoroughly embarrassed this time since my college friends, juniors and seniors who cross by, will make fun. My friend had a safety pin which she lent to get them temporarily fixed. I tried pinning it with all the might that I had but was unsuccessful. So many friends stopped in between to check what went wrong. I was too shy to tell them what happened. Most of them realized the situation and walked without uttering a word. Some of them stopped to tell their stories when their slippers created similar problems. I was thoroughly exasperated.After all my efforts, I saw that the pin I was struggling to make use of got well bent that it could serve no purpose any more. I threw it out. My friend had a plastic bag to lend too. She asked me to remove my slippers and carry it in the bag so that none could notice. I thought it to be the best idea. As we were walking, my friend kept on talking something but I completely lost my concentration. I could no longer follow what she was talking. On the contrary, I was looking at everybody’s legs. I felt so conscious. I started to feel that all are looking at me. The short distance to the bus stop seemed never ending to me that day. Luckily, there was a cobbler near the bus stand who repaired them for me.All kinds of philosophies revived again in my mind and I decided that there is nothing to shy about at such circumstances. Is this an offence to be ashamed of? I often wonder why my brain stops functioning at such times.

After a long time, this incident touched my feet again. My husband and I went out and preferred to walk back home. My husband said that he will drop me home and walk the same distance again to bring back the parked car. I agreed too. We both walked 20% of the distance when my slippers smiled at me again. But surprisingly, I was reminded of all the philosophies I thought of after every such episode. I simply removed them, threw them in a dustbin and comfortably walked bare foot. I knew that there was no cobbler in the vicinity. I knew that my slippers were not worth retaining. I walked majestically this time. None of the pedestrians took note of my bare foot. I did not care to look at anybody’s foot. I simply walked my stride. Of course, I had to mind my steps since I was bare foot. I realized how nice it is to have a close contact with the road and sand. I understood how quickly you can walk if you do not have to control your slippers. It was simply a BARE walk!

No comments: