Sunday 9 March 2008

Pigeon's cries on a Friday

Oh Mistress of the house!
Envy not at me
I have nothing that you have
Except that I can fly.

Flying is not enjoyable at all!
It is very tiring
And extremely exhausting
To go in search of food.

Sometimes I spot some food from above
And by the time I land
My brothers finish them off
Leaving a morsel or two for me.

Sometimes I prefer walking around
So that I can grab food the moment I see it
But unfortunately, I am shooed away by your brothers
In fear for my life, I am forced to fly away.

I have no occasions to celebrate
Every day is the same as the previous day
No Christmas, no New Years
No Birthdays, not even week ends!

I have no taste buds
I have no sense to identify food;
Good or bad; hot or cold.
Serve me anything and I am happy.

I saw food waiting for me everyday on your kitchen window
I was glad that there is somebody to care for me
I gathered my family members one day

To share about this secret.

It somehow reached the ears of many other birds
That we all began fighting for the little food your offer
I was happy that you understood our problem
And began sharing larger portions of your food!

But Madam Friday is your week end and not mine!
Do you want to know what do I go through every Fridays?
Some Fridays I wait for a longer time,
Some Fridays I am simply forgotten,
Some Fridays I am served something different,
Some Fridays I just fly back losing patience.

It may look a bit too much for you,
But may I request you something?
Can you offer me food everyday at the same time?
I understand that you rejoice and have fun on Fridays
Try sharing your happiness on weekends with me
By offering anything that you can spare for me!

6 comments:

Padmaja said...

Latha,

That was a unique emotional piece of writing. Wonderful!

How true that there is no weekend or Christmas or Diwali for them! But one point of advantage towards them is - they don't have to study, earn, hoard etc.. :) In fact, apart from food, they lead their lives in the way they want (I hope my assumption is true) unlike us who have so many formalities, protocols, laws to abide.

We

Subhashree said...

A very emotional verse! Keep on writing.

Latha said...

True Padmaja! Other than hunting for food, their life appears to be much more easy since they do not have a set rule to abide by. They are free and independent.

Latha said...

Thanks Nisha for your comments.

Radhakrishnan said...

Brilliant! To care others is very important thing in the world and it is even important to know their needs! Excellent Latha.

It reminds me of my short story
'பறவைக்கு'

Thank you Latha.

Latha said...

Thanks for your comments Mr. Radhakrishnan!

Glad to hear that you have written a short story too on the same subject. If it is a short story, I would like to read it too. Forward it when you get time.