Sunday 9 March 2008

Fulfilled Dream

It was a cold winter night. It was time for the maid to leave. As she opened the door, she saw a tall man wearing a long coat standing in front of the door just about to knock at it. She looked inquisitively at him. He smiled at her and asked, “Does Grace live here?”
“Yes. She lives in this house.” She replied softly.
“I want to see her”, said the man.
“Can I know who you are?” asked the maid.
“Tell her that it is John.”
The maid was getting suspicious over the man. She asked the man to stay outside. She locked the door and rushed to Grace. Grace was almost about to doze when the maid ran to her up the stairs and said, “Madam, do you know a man named John?”
Grace squeezed her eyes open and said, “No. I don’t.”
“I guessed as much”, said the maid.
“Why what happened?” asked Grace curiously.
“A tall man with moustache and hat, with a cigar in his hand, who must be in his mid seventies, enquired about you and said he wants to meet you”, said the maid.
“Let him meet me Nancy.”Nancy paused.
“Are you scared?” asked Grace.
“Yes I am. You are alone here in this house and I am about to leave now. I am worried”, said Nancy.
“What can he get out of a 70 year old woman Nancy? Let me come down to meet him.”

Nancy helped Grace step down the stairs. Grace asked Nancy to open the door. John entered in. He came close to Grace. He looked at her from head to toe and asked delicately, “Are you well Grace?”
“Yes I am but…..” Grace paused.
“Don’t you remember me yet?” asked John.
Grace removed her glasses and went closer to John and squeezed her eyes to see him clearly. “I am sorry Sir. Did we know each other?” asked Grace softly.
“Grace! I never thought you could forget me” said John.
Grace felt bad for her weak memory but she was helpless. She said, “I am sorry Sir. But please have a seat.”

John sat down. Grace asked, “Can you tell me how you know me? Are you David’s relative?”
John put his hands into his coat and pulled out an envelope. He handed it over to Grace. Grace put on her glasses again to see what it is. Grace opened the cover and removed a photo – a photo of her and John taken 40 years back. She saw herself decked in a bright blue dress and John in a black suit. The photo was taken when the two were partying on John’s birthday. Tears accumulated into Grace’s eyes. She sat down near John and wept.
“How could I forget you? I am an absent minded old woman” cried Grace. Nancy came closer and asked Grace softly, “Madam is he known to you?”
“Yes Nancy. You may please leave. He is well known to me”, said Grace.
Nancy grabbed her bag and disappeared from the scene.Grace continued weeping. John went closer and comforted her.
Grace cried, “How could I forget you John?”
“That’s ok Grace. It has been many years since we met. Now we are old-very old”, said John comfortingly.
“How did you find my house?” asked Grace.
“Well, that was simple. I accidentally met your son few days back when I had been to his bank and when we had a lengthy conversation, I understood that he is your son. I wished I had met him long time back. I thought he must have told you about this”, narrated John.
“No he did not. He in fact called me today only to say that I am invited to the party that he is hosting tomorrow on the occasion of his 15th wedding anniversary”, said Grace.
“So you will be attending the party with him tomorrow?” asked John.
“Yes. I am leaving tomorrow with Nancy” said Grace. Grace continued, “Now tell me about you John. How is your wife? Where are your children?” asked Grace.
“Well, my wife is still with me. She is suffering from many illnesses like sugar, asthma, and what not? Old age issues! We have to live with it. My children are spread out in different parts of the world. I get reminded of them only on occasions when they call me without fail. They are all grown ups leading their own life. And mine is all over”, said John. A minute of silence passed. John continued, “I have come to fulfill one wish of yours.”
“What is that?” asked Grace curiously.
“When I met your son and obtained your address, I instantly was reminded of the request that you made to me several years back”, said John.
Grace leaned forward and asked John, “I am interested to know what request I made with you?”
With a sigh, John continued, “You wanted me to take you out on a date on the Valentine’s Day. Do you remember?
”“Yes I do. I do. It was that period when David was alive and I was too scared to be involved with you considering David’s temperament. Well, I still had a nice time secretly talking and writing to you.” said Grace with a smile on her face. She laughed after that and said, “Silly dreams and fantasies. I was unshakably attracted over you then”, said Grace.
“Then? So you mean you are no longer attracted towards me”, asked John.
Both had a hearty laugh at this. After a long time they both had a great talk with no fear or worry. The love that did not bloom because of each other’s familial commitment seems to be re born again at this stage.
“Grace, your unfulfilled wish will be fulfilled tomorrow. We both are going to have a ball at the “Palace” restaurant tomorrow. Remember it is Valentine’s Day tomorrow”, said John.
“John! I have to go to attend my son’s wedding anniversary party tomorrow”, said Grace.
John said, “When David was alive, you were scared of him. Now you are afraid of his son?”
Grace smiled, “I am not afraid of my son John. But it is my commitment. I have to go.”
“Well, that is all from my side. I will meet you tomorrow at 6 pm in the restaurant. I will be waiting for you there. I have to go back to my wife tomorrow before midnight. She has none to look after her. I have come here just for you. Just to fulfill your dream. I do not know if I will be alive until the next Valentine’s Day”, said John.
Grace was silent. She was confused. John got up from his seat. He said, “It is too late and I had my medicine too. I got to leave now else I will doze off here itself.”
“You may stay here John. Where do you think you are going in this cold night?” said Grace.“I am staying in a motel just outside the city. I got to go. In fact I have come with a gentleman who works for the hotel and who is waiting in the car. I cannot let him like that. Let us meet tomorrow Grace”, said John.
John took the photo back from her and soon left.

Grace sat back again. She was not sure if she can afford to miss her son’s anniversary party. She stretched herself in the couch. She closed her eyes and thought about the days she spent with John. It was a secret affair that she had with him which she had not disclosed to anybody. It was just once that the two met outside on the eve of John’s birthday when the picture was taken. She remembered how deeply she loved John. The relationship lasted only for a very brief period and it was automatically terminated when David moved to another place. Several years passed and still those thoughts about John took Grace to a different world. She felt very light and relieved and shed tears of joy. She considered herself to be 50 years younger. She closed her eyes without deciding which place to go to the next day.

Nancy opened the door with the key that she always carried and saw Grace sleeping on the couch. She was concerned. She came closer and softly spoke to Grace, “Madam! Are you okay?”
Grace quickly got up and said, “Nancy? Oh is it morning?”
Nancy said, “Yes.” She repeated, “Are you okay?”
“Yes I am”, said Grace and climbed up to her room. Grace picked up the phone. She held it for a long time deciding whether to call her son or not. Finally she decided to call her son.“Hello”, said Grace’s son.
“Happy Anniversary my son”, wished Grace merrily.
“Thanks Mom! Hope you are getting ready to attend the party. I shall be sending my car in 2 hours’ time. Be ready to come here Mom.”
“Son, I have got to tell you something.”
“What’s that Mom?”“Well, Son. I eh.. hmmm.. will not be able to come to the party today.”
“Why Mom? Are you okay?”
“Yes I am. But I have another party to attend.”
“But didn’t I inform you well ahead of time?”
“Yes my son. But something important came up in between. An old friend of mine who”
“No Mom”, interrupted her son. “You are coming here. I am sending my car right away”.
“Wait son. I got to attend the party here. I am sorry. I will indeed miss your party but I will come there tomorrow and watch the cassette with you all. Is that okay?”
“No. It is not.”
“Then I am sorry my son. Please do not expect me today”, said Grace and replaced the phone.
Grace sighed. She dressed up quickly and had a quick breakfast that Nancy prepared. She requested Nancy to accompany her for shopping. Grace went to buy a new dress for herself. As she went out to the mall after a long time, she saw how beautiful the city looked. It had been years since she crossed that way. She looked at the people around. There were many flower stalls that sold fresh flowers like hot cakes. It was a festive occasion. It was Valentine’s Day. She saw the faces of bright men and women. She saw some couples walking together. She saw some men and women waiting in desperation for their loved ones. She looked around. She smelt a new air of love filled everywhere. Even the little birds seemed to celebrate the day. She was feeling joyous inwardly. She entered into a shop and checked for gowns that would fit her. She was very choosy that day. She wanted something bright and radiant. She finally picked up a dazzling red dress. Nancy wondered what it is all about. She had no clue of what was happening with Grace. She simply accompanied her raising few questions of which only some were answered by Grace. She then went in search of ornaments matching the colour of her dress. She then looked for a pair of glove and slippers. She then stepped into a nearby parlour to trim her hair. She was not bothered about the young ladies gathered there. She proudly got some facial massage done after which she reached home. Nancy was wonder struck and perplexed too.Grace received calls from her daughter in law and grand daughter who requested her to consider attending their party but she candidly refused.

Soon it was time for Grace to get ready and leave for the restaurant. She came out dressed like a queen. Nancy was spell bound. Grace indeed looked pretty. She ingenuously refused Nancy’s assistance that day to the event. She called for a cab and went to the restaurant unaccompanied.

John was seen waiting there at the said time. He saw Grace getting down the car. He ran to her and gently held her gloved hands and led her to the ball room. John was simply amazed at her charm. He couldn’t take his eyes off her. Even at this age she looked pretty to his eyes. He kept gazing at her for a long time. Grace saw love in his eyes and she blushed with a smile. She couldn’t stand the power generated from his eyes that day. As the couple entered the ball room, many seated there stood up from their seats without their knowledge. They were probably astonished to see an old couple there to celebrate the occasion. It could be as a mark of respect to them. Both enjoyed the moment. John comfortably seated Grace on a seat and extended a bouquet to her and proposed to her thus, “Will you be my Valentine?”
Grace accepted the bouquet with a shy and said, “Yes”.
After a serving of wine, both got up together for a dance. They fixed their eyes at each other and danced. They danced and danced. They danced for a long time. The music was so soothing and romantic that the couple overlooked the world outside them. They forgot about each other’s roles and responsibilities in their life. They failed to remember what age they were in at that moment. They simply danced. Danced to their heart’s content. After a prolonged session of dance, they both paused. They then realized that they were the only two seen dancing. The group of people gathered there clapped their hands. Both were enthralled. They sat down again to have their dinner. It was an unforgettable incident in their life.John was simply lost at her elegance even at this age. He was staring at her throughout. When they were about to finish their dinner John asked Grace, “Can I kiss you?”Grace gave a silent approval. John drew Grace closer to him and kissed her. He kissed and kissed. He passionately kissed. He revealed all his love for her with those gentle kisses. He then gave her a small gift which he said should be opened only after she reached home.Grace gathered a few drops of tears in her eyes and said, “John. Thanks for everything. Thanks for fulfilling my dream which I had almost forgotten.”Grace then gave John the gift that she had bought for him. It was a tie pin studded with diamonds. John was happy to receive the thoughtful gift from her.

It was 10 pm. It was time for John to leave. Both got into a cab. John decided to drop her home and then leave to his place. Both traveled together. They held each other’s hands tightly. Grace bent her head on his heavy shoulders. She felt light again. She was happy.John said in a soft voice, “I am glad you came and made my evening pleasant and enjoyable. Today is that day which I can never forget in my life. It would have been a tough decision for you to decide between me and your son. I am glad that you chose me. We had in fact celebrated the evening with no fears in mind and with no guilt in heart. We are not answerable to anybody. We are not dependent on anybody. We are free. We are pure. We are love.”
Grace said, “Yes John. I have never been happier in my life before. Not even on those days when we were together years back. This is a memorable event in my life. Thanks for that John. Thanks a lot.”
Grace dozed for a moment in his caring shoulders. John picked up a small piece of paper and wrote a note to Grace and pinned it along with the gift.Soon it was time for Grace to get down. “Grace, I got to go. My wife is alone. I will come back again to meet you. I have kept a piece of paper with my address in it on the gift that you are carrying. Call me if need be. I need to go now”, said John.Grace’s heart was heavy. She did not want to part from him. She wanted to hold his arms and cry and she did it. John comforted her, “Didn’t we have a great time?”
Grace said “Yes we did”.“Keep thinking about it until we meet next”, said John.
She got down gently, gave a departing kiss to John and got into her house. Nancy was waiting for her. Grace asked Nancy to leave. Grace turned on some music. She sat on her rocking chair and opened the gift that she received. Much to her surprise, there were two framed photographs. One was the photo that the two had taken 40 years back and the other one was a photo taken that day when the two were dancing. It was framed in a beautiful decorated wooden board. The paper that was pinned along with the wrapper read as follows:

When my life was fertile
Your lips were dry
When my living is barren
Your lips are moist.

When my arms extended
Your body escaped from it
When my shoulders are withered
Your body is resting on it.

My love for you then was strong
My love for you now is stronger
Let us meet again in our life
Will you then be my wife?

His address and phone number was furnished below those beautiful verses. Grace wept heavily after reading those verses. Her tears settled down in a while. She removed her glasses. She then looked at the framed photos again and again. She rocked. She then closed her eyes and then rocked again. Within a moment, rocking stopped. She slept to eternity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

latha...Very touching...inspiring...sad....it touches some chords somewhere in the heart. Can't exactly say where..you have a flair for writing stories.. The only thing is u have to adopt some more conventional gimmicks in it.Like in poems where we do some garnishings.. it is a wonderful story..Congrats.

Latha said...

Thanks Kunjubi for liking the story.

Shall try to better my way of writing hence forth.