Monday 3 November 2008

Show Mercy, O Showers!

Didn’t you convey the message of your arrival
through the harbinger of all seasons?
Now I see not a trace of you around!
Aren’t you testing my patience?

You may be seasonal yet sensational;
You may be inconsistent yet steady;
You may be garish yet simple;
May I implore for a quick downpour?

Waiting restlessly for you with parched lips
on the crest of a lonely rock of a desert,
in the brink of despair
with no layer to shield me.

Waiting for the strands of mercy
to touch every cell of my body,
that would relieve me of this desperation
and rejuvenate my soul and spirit.

I will squirm not with displeasure
on your gentle touch,
for, I have fully attuned myself to
merrily dance to your cadence.

May it be beating showers,
or even gentle tapping all over,
I am ready to welcome you in any form -
all because of my fretfulness.

Come on, pour down! Tap me, and pat me,
touch me, and feel me
encompass me, encircle me
engulf in me and just dissolve in me!

My eye lids are wide open
waiting for a brisk sprinkle to close it.
My face has withered down
waiting for you to come and moisturize it.

My lips are bruised
devoid of your tender kiss.
My body is burning with heat
waiting for you to come and cool it down

You are nature’s bounty bestowed on me.
Drown me with your compassion.
Don’t you know that I have a syndrome
for which you are the only medication ?


6 comments:

Padmaja said...

The merciful showers may be seasonal but always sensational whenever it comes. :)

I liked the way you had written this poem and also the rich coinage of words. It gives a smooth and soft feeling. Lovely as always. :)

Latha said...

Thank you Padmaja, for your generous showers of compliments :)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant piece, so many meanings that can be derived from the same set of words. What interested me most is that this piece can be construed depending upon the readers thoughts.

I construe that there is a inherent message in this work that you are attempting to communicate and it will be understood by who it has to be understood by ! I could be wrong but thats my assumption

!! super work !!!

Latha said...

Srini, your assumption is much better than my imagination! :)

Anonymous said...

I did'nt quiet get that latha, assumption being better than imagination ? and that too the imagination of the author, how does that work !!

Latha said...

Srini, it seems that you have better interpreting ability. Your assumption appealed to me and when my readers are smarter than me, I have no problem in so admitting.