Tuesday 28 July 2009

Qualification Vs. Experience

The tyranny of qualification has jettisoned the worth of experience. This is undisputedly a debatable topic though my stance is already clear as to which side my favouritism rests. I have reasons to say so.

I happened to accompany my Father, who is a garden freak, to a nursery. It is apt to mention here that I am not a person who fancy gardening. I hardly know the fundamentals of gardening and I used to find innocuous reasons not to have a garden at home. Mosquitoes in India often conspire to discuss their new proposals and targets only in gardens. That being my primary rationale, not having a garden was purely justifiable for me. But gardening is my Father’s passionate hobby in which I did not want to pry upon any more.

The nursery we went to was much beyond my expectations. It was massive and also very beautifully maintained. As soon as we entered, a lady attended to our needs. She was tall, dark, thin, country bred, keen, loquacious and extremely professional. Though her appearance exuded traces of illiteracy, her knowledge truly fascinated me.

My Father had lots of queries on each variety of plants to which she gave pertinent answers without an iota of ambiguity. She had the details of all the species of shrubs, bushes, creepers, crotons and what not lying there. She knew its botanical name, the amount of sunlight it requires, the season when it flowers, fertilizers necessary for its growth, maintenance technique and its price. The only problem that I noticed in her was lack of qualification.

There were thousands of varieties of plants there and she had information on all of them. There was one particular variety of plant that had beautifully bloomed in different colours and captured my attention. On noticing my deep adoration for the plant, she explained to me about it. She told me that it was Gerbera and also provided me more details about the plant. I came home and checked in the internet about the plant and they matched well with all the details that she had furnished. She had indirectly convinced me clearing my hidden belief by explaining that the plants that she sold to us will not attract mosquitoes.

The contour of qualification has transgressed the verve of the indigent legion. I am sure that the lady would not have taken refuge under the cover of a school roof even on a rainy day. To that extent education proved to be an alien to her but for the purpose of survival, she had fully equipped her with all that she has to know. She has the knowledge of an agricultural university professor but not the qualification. Despite having the knowledge, she is forced to work for a pay that would hardly meet her demands. The worst part is that she is not aware of the huge difference in the pay scale between a professor and her. What a qualification could fetch, experience cannot.

How can this be justified? This lady is one among millions who work for peanuts unaware of their own worth. Qualification accompanied by experience is welcome but experience alone will not suffice. What a pitiable situation is this? A piece of paper attesting a person’s knowledge in a particular field holds more value unmindful of how it was obtained. I am not sure how this problem can be resolved but I am sure there could be a way out.

8 comments:

Padmaja said...

Professionalism can be sculpted either with one's qualification or experience. This basic knowledge is lacking in all of us.

Unless and until a professional of the calibre of the girl you've mentioned gets noticed & projected by another professional of qualification, the situation may continue to remain so... sadly.

Anu Nandu said...

Latha,

Very nicely written as usual.

Its amazing to come across someone who leaves such an impression on our hearts and minds.

Life is indeed not fair in such a circumstance. But, for this lady, she probably is in a good place now - she has no idea of all the 'What-ifs.."

This reminds me of the one boy who sells peacock feathers on the streets in bombay - he can do his sales pitch in about 20 languages and was featured in many videos. He still does not have any kind of education - but learnt how to carry out his profession to all different tourists he encounters for a few mins. Here's a link if you have not seen it yet - The Lingo Kid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URtZfIgKAU

Even though its sad, its people like these that make the world go around!

Elanchezhiyan said...

Hai Latha,
The knowledge of the lady is appreciable. But she should not be compared until she got enough qualification. Almost everything by practice we can. The lady may able to tell the scientific names and the uses of the plants. But did she knows about the cross-section or intersection of the plants, leaves. The formal education will give the foundation then we have to get experience in that field. Qualification is like a basement of the building. Some of them achieved beyond the formal qualification also. But so rare. Thiruvalluvar got any Ph.D in Tamil?
I saw one program in National Geographic Channel about the body builders. In that 1) One fellow used to lift the Iron ball and will keep it in his shoulder height 2) Another fellow used to stab the long nail in the wooden ply covered by steel plate.
The almost same powerful man was tested by two different tests, but they failed in unpracticed test. Finally they gave the solution that even if you are doing body building; you have to get experience in certain field.
As we are a law graduate; we knew so many peoples sitting in the court halls (gumasthas, advocate clerks) will tell about the sections and remedies for the problem by their practice; even if they don't have law qualification. Did they know about Jurisprudence, Mens-rea, Actus-rea, Audi Alterm Partem, Eastern Economic Region (International Law we studied). How much we struggled to get the law degree.
I heard about some NGO's doing knowledge transfers. If anybody lack in language to express their ideas, they will help to convert.
Good post.
This is my first comment for your blog. Convey my regards to all your family members.
With regards,
Elanchezhiyan

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Thanks for your comments. As you said, unless and until some real qualified people notice her calibre, her worth will go unnoticed.

Latha said...

Dear Anu

Thanks for leaving your comments. In one way, what you say is right. Ignorance is bliss. If she gets into the commercial money making business, she will lose the innocence and efficiency that she now possess.

I have watched the video in youtube already. Really talented boy! It is indeed strange to note that a boy can, without any formal education, talk flawlessly in many languages. This is what we sometimes term as that we men are the masters of our own situations, is it not?

Latha said...

Dear Elanchezian

Thanks for your comments.

My Father gave me a similar view as yours.

I can quote examples of people who were not qualified to work in a particular field but yet were successful in learning and acting accordingly just by experience.

I would also like to tell that there are so many people who have been qualified by hook or by crook. When we pose questions based on what they have studied their only reply will be silence along with raised brows.

When such individuals can survive, the lady whom I have mentioned can also survive at least because of the flair that she has for the subject.

You are right in many ways. If by experience you can gain anything, then education will never have its worth.

Thanks for your concern. I shall pass your regards to all here.

Elanchezhiyan said...

Hai Latha,
Thanks for your comments. If formal qualifications is not necessary means; we can train Atul within 6 months to be an Accountant. Anybody ready to give the job?
Qualifications means in my part it is others experience in text. That is true also. Because, we did not find anything for this world.
One time Edison's research papers were burnt in a fire accident. The peoples stated that all your findings were burnt. He replied that all my wrong findings were burnt, I will find the new things. After that he gave it to the world so many findings. (Time will be wasted if others went to his wrong path.) I hope he has 1032 patents. The qualifications will lead you to find the Lacunae (the loop holes in others findings). It is a game to start with the end. It's like a relay race. You have to hand over the technology what you have enjoyed to the new generation.
What we are enjoying today is our ancestral assets.
There is one Scientist (I could't remember the name) inventions were not published for almost 50 years due to political reasons. If it was published; we will be in 50 years advance almost. What you are thinking?
One scientist stated that the planets are orbiting around the Sun and not the Sun is orbiting around the earth. Western countries did not accept. Because they believed the angels and other things came from the top of the space. Nowadays for the space travel scientist going by using his inventions.
Even for horoscope also the wrong concept if you go indepth when you are analysing by using the Science. Because of that also still I am waiting for a bride.
For the normal job certain experience will be ok.
Dr. Radhakrishnan said the qualifications make a person to stand long like a Oak tree, others will end up like the tree used for match box (exactly i am not able to translate which i read in tamil).
Finally what we are trying to get through the qualification is others experience only.
Thank you for the good topic you tossed to write like this.
Keep posting.
With regards,
Elanchezhiyan

Latha said...

Dear Elanchezian

I am glad that you have enjoyed participating in the topic that I have chosen to write. From your reply, I can also infer that the topic and my reply has triggered some emotional aspects too in you. I did not say that I do not agree to your concept. What education fetches, nothing else can. There is no doubt about that.

Elanchezian, you should meet this woman to understand what I am telling. A situation imagined is different from a situation that is witnessed. What I have written is only a percentage of what she actually is. She was way too smart and that inspired me to write the post.

By education here, I did not mean any research level brain, but just ability to fetch better income which she definitely has. At the same time, education still holds some value and that is the very reason this woman is not able to get into any better position that the current one.

Thank you for participating.