Thursday 23 July 2009

Laud the living

One among the calamities that arise without a premonition is death. In the normal course, on such happening, the news get spread like rapid fire and very soon assemblies of people get gathered and mourn the loss of such people irrespective of the relationship they shared with the dead. The most inscrutable thing is when we see people who always had an antagonism towards the person when alive, giving a peroration on the rich dogmas the dead had when he was alive. Isn’t this paradoxical? In other words, a person is glorified only after his death. One’s ego doesn’t permit to give credit to them when in flesh and blood.

According to our custom, it is considered inappropriate to talk bad about a dead person even if the person had actually been so. Is that the reason why people find it blatantly suitable to spit venom on a living person? Can’t those men unite to maintain the same decorum when the person is alive? Should one die to receive praises? Does it also mean that a living man becomes ineligible to be applauded? This is one part of the argument.

On the other hand, I have noted that simple gestures of love and care gets puffed up when thought of after a person’s death. I have also observed that people claim to be intolerably in love with the dead person to that extent that they assume that they would have maintained the same love and care (sometimes even more) if the person had escaped death. I am a living example for that. I often think that I would have been a better grand daughter to my grand mother who passed away long back; I assumed that I would have been one great icon of true friendship towards my friend who died few months back. I get such feelings just because they are dead and gone. These are all fleeting thoughts that cross our capricious minds. Aren’t they? We are “WE” always – the ‘constant’ “WE”!

Wide across I see a crescendo in the inexorable mass marching in unison with filthy pride. With self importance as the foundation, they construct a huge edifice of vacuum and believe it to be something. They live in a false world and invite the attention of like minded folks and form a huge committee to harangue the rest of the population. I am not a perfectionist but I am glad that I do not fall into such category of people who ridicule people and also shamelessly utter words of appreciation on their death. Such people are plague to this society.

I have personally witnessed people suffering from the endless torture of guilt on many occasions that make them go through critical episodes of depression and mental disorder. For some, it is quite natural to recollect occurrences of the past and contemplate on the mistakes that one might have committed. Thus to ensure a love filled, guilt free life, I feel that there are some tips to be kept in mind -

- Every individual is entitled to be respected from the moment we become aware he exists
- Every act that deserves appreciation necessarily needs to be valued with candour
- A cordial relationship needs to be maintained with all without any bias
- Simple signs of love and care need to be experientially enjoyed and adored
- We should always remember that we have no right to hurt or humiliate others
- Our ego should be less fed

Life is as precious to others as it is to us. Then why not esteem the presence of the others when they are right in front of us rather than thinking about their greatness after they vanish to the world of oblivion?

4 comments:

Anu Nandu said...

Hey Latha,

To begin my comments, I have to say you are the only one I know that can have so many big and wonderful words in one paragraph - calamities, premonition, inscrutable, antagonism, peroration, dogmas, paradoxical, etc..really I might just start needing a dictionary everytime I read your blog.

So - congrats and I applaud you on having such a command of the English language. I won't wait until your dead to say this! hahah!

I agree with you on most of your points. But I have also seen people talk good about that person as soon as they are dead - but give them a couple of years and they are back to bitching about the same person! Maybe its just a habit!

And on your 6 points listed - I agree with 5 of those hands down! On the 6th though, I think it helps to get a healthy dose of ego-food every now and then. Wait..i just read it again - "Our egos should be LESS fed" Agreed.

So - my dear Yoda, I do appreciate how your mind processes something like this and your words express them beautifully. I don't think I can ever think this much - my brain would just start to hurt!

Keep Blogging.

Padmaja said...

It's ego, my dear... it's ego. It's insatiable because it just doesn't have one mouth but countless many. So, the last point should be the topic of your next blog. :)

Well, I have lots to comment / share / discuss on this article but then it would turn out to be another blog from my side. So, I shall wait for the next opportune moment to chat with you.

However, a few points that I wish to record...

* The willingness to glorify the dead itself is a very noble act. Many don't concur with their own words most of the times as days pass by. Probably they are not aware that they are forcing insult and perjury on themselves due to lack of integrity and commitment.

* Praising the living is like feeding the egos of the living. Again, probably they might not want to feed the egos of the living. :)

* Thankfully, neither do I belong to the so-called population that you have mentioned about. At least I think so. :)

* Ahh... the right words you have chosen.... 'contemplate on the mistakes that one might have committed'. But dear... most people twist this sentence to their benefit and place others in their own court trial while the poor prey is totally unaware of the wrong mental calculations of these sadists.

* Guilt should be acknowledged and rectified and committed to non-cooperation to the benefit of self and others. But once done, guilt must be shown its tomb.

* Well placed points in total.

Waves are back. Welcome! :) Your language is fluid and simply awesome. The approach to the subject is well handled. Keep it up!

Latha said...

Dear Anu

You are just being way too humble by appreciating me.

Each of us have the unique ability to think differently. So we just cannot compare our thinking capacity. All said and done, I should remember that you, being a novice to blogging have already completed more than 100 posts. And not only that, you are able to manage your time very well by handling home, work and your blog efficiently. Hats off to you Anu!

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Thanks for your comments dear.

I fully agree with all the points that you have mentioned. Wish everyone in the world can lead a simple and non selfish life.