Thursday 12 March 2009

Time is our enemy


Just imagine a life without time. How will you consider such a life to be? A boon or a bane? If you find it difficult to imagine, then just try this out. Choose a weekend. Remove all the wall clocks from all the rooms. Set aside your alarm clocks and make the time display of your mobile disappear. Go to bed and wake up fresh when you desire and not when the alarm buzzes. Look at the morning sun. Take a refreshing walk, come back home, have a shower, have a sumptuous breakfast with your family sitting at the table for a long time having a lengthy discussion. Pick up some DVDs. Sit, relax and watch them. Do not look at the time at all. Eat when your stomach indicates and not when the clock strikes. Go out shopping and spend some time in a park or beach with your family and return home and retire when tired. I am sure that you would have enjoyed the day as never before. You would feel free and peaceful.

Time dictates us. It asks us to get up, brush, get ready and leave for work, meet people, do our work, eat, call, go back home, pray, read, watch TV and go to bed. Why should time order us to do everything? Does it exist merely to bring about a discipline into our life? It doesn’t seem to be so. Time cannot enforce discipline. Only we are capable of disciplining ourselves. It is because we have tuned ourselves to obey time we are acting as per that schedule.

But life without time is refreshing and rejuvenating. It causes less tension and worries. It doesn’t cause us the pressure of ageing. It doesn’t cause us any stress regarding work or the anxiety of our old age and other issues.

I have heard people talk about the value of time by saying that lost time cannot be brought back. True. But that doesn’t make it precious. And we do not want those moments back. Time has not given us anything to take it back. What has gone past are the trials of our life. Time did not steal it from us. It is the life and experience that has given the shape that we bear today. We just term it as ‘time’ giving it unnecessary importance that it doesn’t deserve. Time is like a crushed paper thrown in the garbage. Who will want to pick it up from the garbage?

If there had been no concept of time, people would have given their loved ones a longer kiss, a much passionate hug, more meaningful words of love and so on. Time is an excuse. It is cruel and unwanted. I do not want it to command me. I do not want to be controlled by it. I do not want to crave for it or become its slave. I do not want my body to fear time and tune itself accordingly. I want to be free. I want to be liberated from the bonds of time. Think guys! Think! Do not talk about the preciousness of time. Talk about the uselessness of time.

5 comments:

Padmaja said...

A paradigm shift from regular thinking. But then I know you to be so. Kudos!

One question that I have in mind after reading your article...

..... at times of death of the dear, how could the negation of time play here in terms of mourning?

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I am fully aware that I am writing something controversial. This article was a result of a brief chat I had with my friend sometime back who asked me to contemplate on the topic and my findings are compressed in the form of this blog. Majority of the people will end up having some questions in their mind after reading this. I am not surprised that you too have some questions to ask. As I have stated in my blog, everything is a trial in our life. No specific incident is an exception to it.

Thanks for leaving your comments.

Anonymous said...

Dear Latha,
Vow what a thought!!!!!

Latha said...

Thanks, Prakashika. I am glad you liked it.

Unknown said...

lATHA....
Do it provided you have a cook at home who prepares your meals when u feel like eating. It is good if u can stay in a hotel and relax as u said. otherwise you will be bored to death. Just give a try!
kunjubi