Wednesday 11 March 2009

Am I a Psycho?

The advices given by a psychiatrist definitely involve one thing – “Express your feelings normally. Do not try to conceal it.” According to psychiatrists, these words are not only applicable to psycho patients but also to normal people who do not suffer from any mental problems. But is it possible?

Take the case of a businessman. He has to smilingly answer to the queries of his customers how much ever silly a question he may raise. The customer might be irritating beyond measure. But still the businessman has to control his anger and related emotions to win this customer’s business. Is the businessman bound to become a psycho?

Let us assume that a man is so excited over the birth of his newborn son. Let us also assume that one of his close friend’s Father died and he is attending the ceremony the same day. Will he be able to express his happiness there? Is he bound to be a psycho too?

None of us can freely express our feelings. Neither can we easily control them. There are lots of difficulties involved in both. Our surroundings play a major role in it. They are capable of creating or curtailing our life’s precious moments.

Now, let us see what are the consequences of expressing our feelings like anger, frustration and so on. They maybe

Losing job
Losing name and reputation
Fine or imprisonment
Flow of undesirable words
End of a relationship
Creating a bad impression on others
Mentally affecting others and so on

Now if you see the consequences of controlling such feelings, then the result may not be as disastrous as the above. It may sometimes save a fortune for us. But after all those efforts of saving something for our life, are our thoughts going to haunt us back again and again reminding us of the anger that we had controlled and torture us to death? Is that what the psychiatrists are talking about? Yes. That is exactly what they are talking about. They say that any feeling that is suppressed will be re-born. It takes a supreme power when it comes back to life again and haunts us. But it is more likely to affect weak minds. If we are strong enough to forget something without carrying an iota of guilt or fear, then we are likely to escape such dreadful mental diseases.

Psychiatrists believe that a great percentage of population who are ‘normal’ according to common masses maybe suffering from an internal psychological problem of which they may not be aware themselves. It is difficult to trace such problems. We tend to neglect certain unacceptable behaviour of people but psychiatrists claim that they can be a traumatic experience for them if they fail to identify their problem early. Mental diseases can easily capture a man with a weak mind and whose surroundings also aid to the adversity of his mind and spirit.

I have never been able to express my feelings openly and easily. I have expressed happiness freely but never my frustrations. I had to conceal them. I had to conceal my anger too.

My question is that how will I know if I possess a strong mind? (I will not know if I possess a strong mind unless and until I face a serious situation and learn to forget)

And secondly – Am I a psycho? :)


6 comments:

Padmaja said...

Haha... in that case, 99% of the population should be psychos and the remaining 1% are already insanes who express and behave the way they wish. :D

Good article. Enjoyed reading it. Keep it up! :)

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your comments made me laugh. It was pretty convincing too. You gave me the assurance that I am not alone. Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Latha,
I am also in your count!!
We can express happiness but certainly not frustations and even angry to the right person.I do agree with you.

Latha said...

Dear Prakashika

Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Aren't we all Psychos then?

I think its cool to be a psycho - that just means you're normal - a human.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anu

Thanks for your comments. Yes, looks like it is normal to be a little abnormal. :)